- 1 Hour Trip Plainwell to Otsego: The river level and flow rate can make this trip longer or shorter. This is good for beginners and people with young children. The terrain after leaving the park in Plainwell is mostly grasslands and trees. You will see many birds and turtles. You will depart from Fannie Pell Park in Plainwell; the trip will end in Otsego at Jewel Street. Departure times depend on availability at the time you book your trip.
- 2 Hour Trip Otsego to Trowbridge Dam: This newly renovated trek on the flowing Kalamazoo River will take approximately 2 hours. The trip is best for the kayaker who can navigate the choppy waters on the first part of the trip and “rapids” midway. The second half of the trip requires more paddling (which can be physically demanding on windier days) as the river is wider on this part of the trek and the waters flow a bit slower. We strive to depart for the launch site in Otsego promptly at 12PM & 2PM Thursday – Saturday and 2PM on Sunday. Meet in Plainwell at our Kayak Barn located at 211 N. Main Street. The “Barn” is a brick building in the parking lot of Fannie Pell Park. We have to schedule pick up times at 26th street as it takes approximately 30 minutes to bring you back to Plainwell. This is not the trip for those who just want to linger on the river.
The two sets of rapids are can be a bit challenging. Follow these directions from the folks who worked with river bed and rocks after the dam was removed:
First rapids are just after the Pine Creek Dam: stay to the left edge or the right edge of the river to pass through safely. A natural flat bedrock is located in the middle of this part of the river bed. The level of the river will affect if you notice this natural rock formation.
Second set of rapids on the former Bittersweet/Otsego Township Dam: stay in the middle of the river to avoid the potentially dangerous rocks. Your view of the rocks in the water can very due to the river levels! Beware
- 3 Hour Trip D Avenue to Plainwell: The river level and flow rate can make this trip longer or shorter, we expect your trip to take no longer than 4 hours; please let us know if you would like to rent the kayak for an extended trip! The trek is tree lined and very private most of the way. You will see many birds, turtles, and maybe even fish as you glide along the waterway. There are some adventures at the end of this trip as you can either “portage your kayak” around the spillway or choose to ride over the spill way; conditions permitting! It’s a much talked about thrill by kayakers in this area! We depart for the launch site on “D” Avenue 11AM, 1PM & 3PM Thursday – Saturday and 12PM & 1 PM on Sunday. Meet in Plainwell at our Kayak Barn located at 211 N. Main Street. It is a brick building in the parking lot of Fannie Pell Park
- Lake Kayaking: This trip allows you to enjoy a relaxing float without the current of the river. The hourly rate will start when you are on the lake; you decide the duration of the trip. We are permitted to use the Rupert Lake Boat Launch Site. Meet in Plainwell at our Kayak Barn located at 211 N. Main Street. It is a brick building in the parking lot of Fannie Pell Park
- We have single and a few tandem kayaks for rent
- We provide life jackets and paddles.
- We also provide transportation service for those who own their own kayaks or canoes (advanced reservations are appreciated).